Campground by State

Our members can recommend campgrounds to stay at while traveling in your Creek..

Moderators: Executive Board, Regional Directors, Past Presidents

Re: Campground by State

Postby jerryj » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks for the replys to Yellowstone. We have talked to several people who haved lived in that part of the country and both have said they preferred The Tetons over Yellowstone. But maybe because they lived there and the tourist weren't as many, plus their house was close by so no need to look for rv spots. Last I heard they were going to rework Fishing Village and upgrade it, electrical etc.. Did you go after this work? My wife is still working so I thought I would take off and meet her in Salt Lake City. She wouldn't use so much vacation and spend most of her time in the park. We aren't set on one or the other yet.

Jerry & Cynthia
jerryj

Postby Jerry and Irene » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:52 am

Several of us stayed at Fishing Bridge in 2007 on our way to Alaska and it is one of the campgrounds that I rated as very poor on that trip. As mentioned above, the sites are very narrow and some are difficult to get into. We stayed there in June and the mosquitos were terrible - much worse than the legendary mosquitoes of Alaska.

One site that I have found to be useful when looking for campgrounds is www.rvparkreviews.com I know that there are several sites that critique campgrounds but I like this one.
Jerry and Irene Beeler
2009 34TSA
2015 Chevy High Country
ImageImage
Jerry and Irene
Region 4 Director

Postby Riversedge » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Looking for a nice rv campground in west virgina whitewater rafting. Any recommendation?
Riversedge

Postby vabari » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:31 pm

Here's some suggestions for Arkansas:

Hot Springs National Park, Gulpha Gorge campground - 28 full hookup sites (30 & 50 amp) along a creek in Hot Springs National Park
DeGray State Park, Arkadelphia, AR
Petit Jean State Park

Most of the Arkansas State Parks have recently improved sites with full hookups in very scenic locations!

Carroll
vabari

Postby SandsOrrell » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:40 pm

Here are a few Susan and I liked on our recent trip from Texas to Florida and Georgia.

Hattiesburg, Mississippi: Okatoma RV Park. A little out of the way but quite nice. About 8 miles north of town. Full hook ups with pull-thrus and back-ins. Level, gravel sites. http://www.okatomaresort.com/

Tallahassee, Florida: Big Oak RV Park. Right in the city, but nice and quiet with big pull-throughs and full hook-ups. Level gravel sites. Convenient to whatever you might want to do in Tallahassee.
http://www.bigoakrvpark.com/

West Palm Beach, Florida: John Prince Memorial Park. County park. Excellent!!! Convenient to everything in the West Palm area. The campground is located deep in the park. Nice and quiet. Big pull-throughs, back-ins of all sizes, Full hook-ups, level concrete sites. We will be staying there every time we visit Susan's folks in West Palm.
http://www.pbcgov.com/parks/camping/johnprincepark/

St. Augustine, Florida: North Beach Camp Resort. Secluded park right on A1A. Close to beach. Pull-throughs, full hook-ups, gravel sites. Lots of shade.
http://www.northbeachcamp.com/

Perry, Georgia: Fair Harbor RV Park. Nice park for a short stay. Pull-throughs, back-ins, full hook-ups, concrete sites.
http://www.fairharborrvpark.com/

Grapevine, Texas: The Vineyards RV Park. Smack dab in the north Tarrant County (Fort Worth) area. On Grapevine Lake. Pull-throughs, full hook-ups. Concrete sites. REALLY convenient to our home (30 minutes)!
http://www.vineyardscampground.com/

We stayed in a few others on our trip, but would not recommend them. They were OK for an overnight, but nothing special.
Skip and Susan Orrell
2013 34RLSA, MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, Disc Brakes, GY LT 614G Tires, Level Up
2013 Chevy 3500 LTZ D/A 4X4 DRW CC

USAF Pilot 63-83; Vietnam Vet
Full-timers
SandsOrrell

Postby Chuck & Sue » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:52 pm

Does anyone know of a good campground in the Thomasville/Lexington, NC area?
Chuck & Sue
2005 37' RDQS, 2003 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison.
Chuck & Sue
1K posting member

Postby SandsOrrell » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:33 pm

Here are a few we stayed at during our "Head North and West" trip.

Oklamoma:
El Reno West KOA. Not bad but certainly not the best of the KOAs. We stayed there because it was convenient to my sister's place in Calumet.

Kansas:
All Seasons, Wichita. NOT recommeded. Pete and I have both posted on this previously.
Gunsmoke, Dodge City. Good for its location and a pretty nice park. Could have used more shade trees. Temps were in the 100s while we were there. Other than that, it was pretty good.
High Plains Camping, Oakley. No trees whatsoever, but OK for an overnight.

Nebraska:
Country View Campground, Ogallala. OK for an overnight.

South Dakota:
Custer Crazy Horse Campground, Custer. Got some very mixed emotions about this place. We were here for 7 days. Beautiful location just outside Custer in the gorgeous Black Hills. The sites were very narrow so you felt like you were right on top of your neighbor. Susan says we WERE on top of our neighbor. I could only extend our awning part way as it would hit our neighbor's slide-out. Some of the pull-throughs were not very level - ours wasn't too bad, the Level-Up handled it just fine. They advertise free wi-fi but we could not get connected, probably because the sites were on the side of the hill and no tower was close. No cable, but who wants TV when you have the Black Hills for sightseeing? The roads in the campground were very narrow and not well maintained (rutted in some places). The site location was very nice, nestled among the pines on the side of the hill and well away from road noise. I loved our stay in the Black Hills. But mostly because of all the things to do and see, not because of the campground. I'm afraid I can't recommend this campground unless it is the last one available in the area. But I DO highly recommend the area.

Wyoming:
Indian Campground, Buffalo. I highly recomment this one. We stayed three days. It is located at the foot of the Bighorn Mountains. Well shaded and very nice folks running it.

Montana:
Trailer Village RV Park, Billings. OK for a one-nighter if you don't have pets. Not at all pet friendly. Entire park was on gravel, very little grassy area. Every place there was grass there were numerous signs saying to keep pets off the grass. And guests HAD to take dogs to the enclosed area for them to do their business - even it was all gravel. Rosie did not like it. We ALWAYS clean up after her. We will not stay there again.
Jim and Mary's RV Park, Missoula. HIGHLY recommended!! Very pretty park, well maintained and nice people. Many flower gardens scattered throughout the park. Stayed there two nights and left before we had done anywhere near all the things to see and do in the Missoula area. We will return. Make sure you make reservations in advance - very popular place, full every night in the summer.

Idaho:
Wolf Lodge RV, Couer d'Alene. We only stayed one night. Seemed to be a nice enough park, but had a lot of confusion about which site they put us in. Got that straightened out eventually, but it honestly left a bit of a bad taste. Went to stay with friends for another three nights in this beautiful area. Highly recommend the Couer d'Alene area. Stunning scenery and lots to do!
Bear Den RV, Grangeville. Ok for an overnighter or two night stay. It would be great but for the fact that it is located in flat land and not many trees.
Mountain Home RV Park, Mountain Home. A nice park and nice people running it.

Utah:
Cherry Hill Resort, Kaysville. This a big kids resort. Even the pull-throughs are hard to get into. Very tight sites. Luckily we only stayed one night. Located just outside of Salt Lake City. I can't recommend it.

Colorado:
Monument RV Park, Fruita. Nice place, especially for a one-nighter. Not many trees and not the most scenic part of CO (just across the border from Utah on I-70).
Strasburg KOA, Strasburg. Stayed here two nights, mostly to visit friends in Denver. An OK KOA.

New Mexico:
Raton KOA, Raton. Nice place but by now were itching to get home so only stayed one night. OK for that purpose. Had train and highway noise, but that doesn't bother me much.

Texas:
Overnight RV Park, Amarillo. In spite of its name (and the decrepit sign outside the park) it is a decent place. We stayed there two nights, mostly so we could clean the CC and do some laundry so we didn't have to do it when we got home. Also we knew we were going to push the 400 miles home in one day. The park is located in a convenient place for us. On I-40 east of town a mile or so before the US 287 cut-off. I will stay there again.

All the places listed above had pull-throughs with full hook-ups.
Skip and Susan Orrell
2013 34RLSA, MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, Disc Brakes, GY LT 614G Tires, Level Up
2013 Chevy 3500 LTZ D/A 4X4 DRW CC

USAF Pilot 63-83; Vietnam Vet
Full-timers
SandsOrrell

Postby Jerry and Irene » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:31 pm

Dave K or Dave M. if you can edit the first post, please add Circle the Wagons CG in Laveta, CO to this listing. This is one of the best campgrounds that we have ever stayed at - second only to Willow Tree in SC. Marla, thanks for suggesting this CG.
Jerry and Irene Beeler
2009 34TSA
2015 Chevy High Country
ImageImage
Jerry and Irene
Region 4 Director

Postby Happy Campers » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:31 pm

I'm so glad that you think so highly of Circle the Wagons RV Park. We, as adults, enjoy it very much. The grandkids, not so much. Nothing for them to do there. Definitely, an ADULTS ONLY park. Just an addition of maybe a mini golf course would be great, but I don't know where they would put it. Bean bag toss gets old and the nearest water park or pool is 20 miles away. If we take a grandchild again, we will stay at Lathrop State Park in a lakeside spot in Walsenburg or check out Alamosa or Trinidad area. David and I loved it there as did our son Brannon, but our granddaughter got bored easily.

Marla
David and Marla
Baxter - our low rider mini-dachshund
2008 37CKQS Custom CC
2010 GMC 2500 HD Duramax
Happy Campers
1K posting member

Postby brownm1 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Just arrived at Whittington Woods off Interstate 57 in Whittington, Illinois. It's close to the I-57 & I-64 junction and is next to Rend Lake golf course. The sites are large and easy to pull into (all gravel but level with FHU). Tall Oak trees abound that provide great shade and an abundance of squirrels. And the owner keeps chickens that like to roam around the entrance. Pool, activity meeting room, bathhouse/laundry, fenced dog park, playground and free Wi-Fi. Easy to get here off I-57. It was $35.10 for the night (Good Sam rate). Cheaper rates for longer stays. But there is one drawback. The owner prefers cash or check as he does not like to pay the credit card companies their fee. Can't say I blame him. Anyway it is a nice place and it appears to be expanding beyond the 94 sites. Oh and down the road is Burton's Café' with great meals and homemade pie!
2016 34RE
2006 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax/Allison 4X4
Joy Rider II
brownm1

Postby brownm1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Anyone camped by Charlotte, NC? Would appreciate tips for a good campground.
2016 34RE
Joy Rider II
brownm1

Postby BandJCarm » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:54 pm

brownm1 wrote:Anyone camped by Charlotte, NC? Would appreciate tips for a good campground.

And please PM me what you find! I can't find any! Best place I have found is my daughter's new house driveway!

There are not many. We drove through Crown Cove, and I was highly NOT impressed. McDowell nature preserve is nice, but small sites, and sorta high. Only one site has sewer. Ebenezer park has possibilities, but only cause it's about the best of the worst around there. Kings Mountain is ancient and gravel and hilly and remote and each site is very small.

Just not many good parks in that area.........oddly enough.
Bill and Jeannie
Central Arkansas
2016 GMC Denali 3500 Dually
2017 CC 36CKTS

BandJCarm

Postby Happy Campers » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:02 pm

We love Whittington Woods in Illinois! It was the first campground we stopped at on our maiden voyage with our CC. We love this place! We have been back 4 times. Paying cash for a cheaper rate and a pristine campground doesn't bother us at all. Beautifully landscaped, impeccably kept grounds, crystal clear pool and spotless laundry room, bathroom and showers. To date it is our favorite of anywhere we have stayed, including Fort Wilderness at WDW. Not a fair comparison though as Disney has unlimited funds to make their campground appealing and Chip and Dale for camp hosts. LOL! The owners are wonderful and helpful. There is golfing just a stone throw away and a beautiful lake too. We have not tried Burton's café but next visit we will be sure to make a point to take time to eat there.

Marla
David and Marla
Baxter - our low rider mini-dachshund
2008 37CKQS Custom CC
2010 GMC 2500 HD Duramax
Happy Campers
1K posting member

Postby brownm1 » Thu May 18, 2017 6:14 am

Stayed at Carowinds campground in Charlotte. It is on the Southwest side. Nice paved pull through. Clean with all the amenities you would expect. Carowinds amusement park is right next door so if you have kids this is a great place for them to enjoy.
2016 34RE
Joy Rider II
brownm1

Previous

Return to Campgrounds