Volvo VNL670 conversion to CC hauler

Post your MODS here! We have some very talented members who like to share their mod know-how. Put your ideas here, do some mod brainstorming here, ask questions, take advantage of others ideas, and share yours!!!

Moderator: Executive Board

Re: Volvo VNL670 conversion to CC hauler

Postby CumminZ » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:37 am

I started to say that looks like an old man's chin.
CumminZ

Postby Randy & Nancy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:42 am

CumminZ wrote:I started to say that looks like an old man's chin.

Shucks, Danny, you don't need to start...... IT IS AN OLD MAN"S CHIN! There is nothing I can build short of a brick wall that will hide almost 64 years of wear and tear on my mug.

hummmmm........ but ,,,,,,, Maybe a beard will eventually do that ??????
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
2004 Volvo VNL670 Custom Conversion. 12.1L, 465 HP, 1,625 foot pounds of torque.
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby Marjon » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:54 pm

Randy, I'll be glad when your snow is gone so more up dates on the Great White can be posted. Nancy will be glad as well to get you out of the house.

John
Marjon
2014 36ft CKTS
Trailair Pin
Equa-Flex Flexible Equalizer by Trailair
2004 GMC Duramax 2500 HD 4x4,BD exhaust brake
Maggie..The Mexican Terrorist
ImageImage
Marjon
1K posting member

Postby Randy & Nancy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:38 pm

Marjon wrote: Nancy will be glad as well to get you out of the house.

John

So, you noticed that too.
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
2004 Volvo VNL670 Custom Conversion. 12.1L, 465 HP, 1,625 foot pounds of torque.
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby Randy & Nancy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:44 pm

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 8, 2009

According to history, David Glasgow Farragut is remembered for his order at the Battle of Mobile Bay with the pronouncement: "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

That is pretty much how I feel right now with all of the snow, cold and crappy weather that interferes with my Great White conversion project.

Today was cold Image but the sun was out and there was no wind.

I decided to proceed "Full Speed Ahead"

I finished framing the bed. Doggone, it is BIG. A 8 x 12 foot platform makes a deck large enough to host a party!

You will need to use a little imagination to see where I am going with the project. The metal pieces over the wheels will be attached and fully welded together (on both sides). Skirt panels will cover all but the open area over the wheels. It should blend in with the fiberglass fairing on the cab quite well.

Looking from the rear you will note how the area behind the hitch is lower and open. Again, it will all be closed in but still allow a tunnel for the CC hitch pin to make it easier to hook up and disconnect.

I received my lettering from EBUY Signs today (good company!). While it was really too cold to apply the lettering my impatience drove me to using a hair dryer to warm the surface so that the letters could be applied.

That is left over ice and snow behind the bug shield where I put the Great White logo. What do you think of the flames?

I have a nice collection of 40 amp hour AGM batteries (note second photo). I have room for 16 of the batteries connected in three parallel banks sitting under the bed deck right in front of the forward axle. This will give me a whopping 640 amp hours of battery power that can be plugged into the CC when dry camping. The extra weight(about 600 pounds) will help the ride of the Volvo as well. I have made up all 32 interconnects for the hook-up (sitting on top in the photo)

I will have three of the group 29 AGM's under the passenger fairing connected to the inverter inside the Volvo. That's 375 amp hours in addition to the four group 27 wet cells that come with the truck. I should have plenty of power!

..... more of the 40 amp hour AGM's.

I found a cool set of tail lights at the camper store. They are surface mount and will work nicely on the back when the skirting and lower part of the bumper is finished.

Tomorrow and Wednesday will bring us more snow, sleet, and freezing rain. We are expecting about 4" of slush. Thursday through the weekend look nice with no falling stuff and highs in the 40's. If all goes well, I can get some more accomplished.

Hey, this thing needs to be ready to go by April. We have a trip to Emerald Isle during Spring Break planned and a wedding to attend! Then it is off to Rockahock for the Spring CC rally and the East Coast HDT rally at Virginia Beach the following week. Time is running out!!

Stay tuned for more -- weather permitting!

Randy
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby d2reid » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:57 pm

extra weight(about 600 pounds) will help the ride of the Volvo as well.

Sometimes it the little things that put everything else into perspective.... icon_eek.gif

Dallas
d2reid

Postby Randy & Nancy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:18 pm

SATURDAY FEBRUARY 13, 2010

The predicted snow flurries for today did not develop. Actually, the sun came out for a few minutes.

I was able to finally finish the upper framing for the Volvo truck bed. The piece of plywood set between the frame rails in the middle is where the auxiliary battery bank will rest. The decking over the batteries will be removable.

Next is to start laying the TREX composite pieces on top. Then the sides and rear.

Last edited by Randy & Nancy on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby CumminZ » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:34 pm

Oscar, Ask your dad if he has enough turning room from the center of pin to rear corners? I'm am sure he figured that!! [-o< By the way, Lucy talks about you all the time.
CumminZ

Postby Whooboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:29 pm

professor95 wrote:SATURDAY FEBRUARY 15, 2010

Ummm...I know you guys live in a different world over there, but its only the 13th over here on our side of the continent.
Pete and Jane Brandon
Jack & Ted
Las Cruces, NM
2009 36 CKTS
2015 Ford F350 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab Super Duty
ImageImage
Whooboy
Region 8 Director

Postby Randy & Nancy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:42 pm

CumminZ wrote:Oscar, Ask your dad if he has enough turning room from the center of pin to rear corners? I'm am sure he figured that!! [-o< By the way, Lucy talks about you all the time.

I calculated the arcs even before I sawed the first board or set the first screw. Since then I have pulled the tape on the center of the 5th wheel hitch pin and again drawn the circumference of a semi circle measuring every fraction of an inch - then repeated the same dance from the pin on the CC hitch.

Actually, there is room to spare and then some more for good measure. Boy, that would be a mess if the thing did not clear! Guess that is what they make chain saws for. :mrgreen:

I have not noted your intentions for the spring Virginia rally. I was hoping that since it is not too far that you guys would be able to make it up here. I do understand the restraints imposed by having to work - unfortunately Nancy still has that requirement. Well, at least she will once again starting Monday. She goes back for 1/2 days for at least the first two weeks. It would be great to see you guys again and have enough time for Oscar to loose some of that boyish stuck-up attitude he has a tendency to express. I guess that comes from being an only child? He eventually comes around and becomes a pretty nice playmate. I am sure he would be asking for the keys to the car (Volvo?) to take the girls out by the second night.
Last edited by Randy & Nancy on Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby Randy & Nancy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:45 pm

whooboy wrote:
professor95 wrote:SATURDAY FEBRUARY 15, 2010

Ummm...I know you guys live in a different world over there, but its only the 13th over here on our side of the continent.

I was recently reminded that one of the nicer things about getting old is that there is no need to make excuses for dumb mistakes. :wink:
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby dickhix1 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:28 am

Hey Randy:

Glad Nancy is on the mend. Hope she doesn't do too much when she starts back to work. Really like the pictures and the progress notes you are posting. A couple of the pictures of the wooden framework you built leads me to a dumb question. How much clearance on the sides will you have when the trailer rocks or tilts to the side? I ask because on an older truck, I had the hitch low enough that the trailer was going to hit the bed rail on the truck if it rocked or tilted over to the side to much. Luck would have it that the dealer spotted it before I took off. Had to raise the hitch a notch and that solved the problem. I am sure you already considered that and measured but thought I would mention it anyhow.

Really looking forward to seeing you guys and all the hard work you will have done in VA.
Dick
Dick and Peggy Hicks
2015 36CKTS, most of the bells and whistles, disc brakes
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab 4X4 Long Bed, 50 gal. xfer tank
dickhix1
1K posting member

Postby Randy & Nancy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:17 pm

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2010 - VALENTINE'S DAY!

Dick,

I have checked and rechecked clearances and everything appears to be OK. As for your making the suggestion to check the "rock" clearance all I can say is thank you. This is a first-time project and despite all the planning and measuring it is always good to have a second look and check-mate. Again, thanks!

Since Nancy and I did all of our sweetheart celebrating Friday and Saturday night, I had a pretty good block of time today to work on the Great White this afternoon. It was chilly, but not so cold that my fingers got numb. There is still lots of snow on the ground and there is a chance we will get some more tomorrow morning. Hopefully, not too much. In any event the five day forecast is indicating that I will not be doing any more outside work until Thursday. Maybe I can get some of the inside work done with the wiring and hopefully clean up my workshop - which has tools scattered all over the place.

This was today's progress. BTW, I am changing format and putting the captions/descriptions UNDER the photos. My bride seems to think it will be less confusing that way.

Based on some e-mails I have received, the battery box thing apparently confused a few folks who are following this project. Well, here it is! There are now TWENTY (20) 40 amp hour absorbed glass mat batteries in a compartment over the front wheels. They are wired in parallel and the total amp hours is equal to 800. Their combined weight is 600 pounds. The batteries are maintenance free - I could not add water even if I wanted to. All of them will come together in a common junction block and terminate with a 20 foot section of #2 copper cable and a 200 amp plug connector (black/red wires with yellow end in photo). The CC has a matching connector on the 12 volt battery side so that they can snap together. I designed this power pack to provide no more than 40 to 50 amps continuous draw, it will NOT be connected to the inverter. The extra capacity is ONLY for the normal 12 volt side of the Cedar Creek when dry camping. Total capacity is about six times greater than the original group 27 CC battery.

The batteries are what is known as "New Old Stock". They were spares for a commercial UPS system that were never used. When I got them they were still in the original boxes. All test NEW and should be good for an additional 10-12 years. You are looking at over $2,000 worth of AGM batteries - I bought them for $4 each, or $80 for what you see. The batteries will be covered by the decking board.

To connect the tractor trailer wiring to a camper it is necessary to have a converter that makes the turn signals and brake lights work properly. The generation 2 Volvo's have a computer for the lighting and require a load comparable to a conventional tail or signal light to work properly. To get the proper load I had to go back to "old style" switching and use mechanical relays. The relays and wiring are in the box - which is a re-purposed telephone company residential entrance panel. When the lid or door is attached, it is weather proof.

Note the plastic conduit entering and exiting the box for necessary wiring. Parallel to the blue 3/4" conduit is a piece of 1-1/2" conduit for any additional wiring between the back of the bed and front of the truck.

The back bumper is constructed. The lighting is just temporarily mounted to see how it will look. All of the wood on the back will be covered with a solid sheet of Filon fiberglass. Unfortunately, I need a warm day and dry wood underneath to get a good bond with the contact adhesive - same stuff used to glue down Formical counter tops. I don't know when we might get that warm day - so, in the mean time it is a WYSIWYG. Note the re-purposed OEM Volvo mud flaps. They were removed from the original rusty holders and cut to 18" then screwed to the inside of the bumper. This saved a few bucks on new flaps.

Over $500 of TREX composite decking ready to be screwed down on the bed frame. As it turned out the aluminum bleacher seats I had planed on using would not work well due to problems cutting and fastening them. The sides of the bed around the wheels will be "skirted" as time allows.

If you are as obsessive as I am about keeping "whatever" because it might come in handy some day you will appreciate the door mat shown above. It is a piece of the aluminum "cat walk" that I had to remove from the back of the truck.

Randy
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby Whooboy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:53 pm

I love your posts Randy. Thanks.
Pete and Jane Brandon
Jack & Ted
Las Cruces, NM
2009 36 CKTS
2015 Ford F350 SRW 4X4 Crew Cab Super Duty
ImageImage
Whooboy
Region 8 Director

Postby sody » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:45 am

Your posts and pictures on your project have been very informative and educational. It has been great how you have figured out the various things needed to work around certain obstacles in the project. And I love your use of repurposed materials. I will have to use that in the future instead of "something that I scrounged up or rescued from the scrap heap". You have obviously given a great deal of thought to this project and are an inspiration to others that want to do a similar project on a limited budget. Just proved you can have a quality product without spending like the federal government to get the end result. Keep up the good work. And I think Oscar deserves a gold medal for his supervision skills. He obviously knows how to keep you on task. :lol:
John & Laverne Soetebier
2013 30RL, 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Americus, KS
sody
President

PreviousNext

Return to Mods You have made.