pin box

This forum is used to discuss any safety issue found with your Cedar Creek

Moderators: Executive Board, Regional Directors, Past Presidents

pin box

Postby chris mclean » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:15 am

Hi we have our sillverback in the shop as the pinbox has seemed to come loose distroying the closet .insurance company has not yet said if they will cover . has anyone else had this prolem . we did hit a real bad bump in the road whitch may have caused this either way .has to be fixed .check your pin if not totaly flat you have a problem waiting.
chris mclean

Re: pin box

Postby Hotel California » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:50 am

I believe there have been a couple of members who have had faulty / broken welds
on the pin box which have caused interior problems.
Doug & Juanita Shrader
Santa Rosa,California
2014 Ram 3500 Cummins...DRW Longhorn
2014 34RLSA Touring Edition
Hotel California
1K posting member

Postby Dave & Jill » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:05 am

My pin box did not come loose but my frame broke that the pin box was attached to. It was not an easy repair. The same thing happened to Fred and Dona Quenzer, that were former members of our club. Lucky for me welding is the hobby I enjoy the most so I did the repairs myself and I have quite a few photos. I hope your repair is as simple as tightening some bolts.
Dave & Jill Mattson
Overland Park, KS
2000 30RLFS
1999 F-350
Someone once told me to "Go for Broke"...I am happy to report that I have succeeded.
Dave & Jill
Site Admin

Postby sody » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:52 am

Jim & Marge Goecke had the same problem on the way to the international in Pennsylvania a few years back. They came to the rally in their truck and stayed in a cabin. Jim then inspected all the rigs there and found that Alan and Gwen had broken welds in their pin box. I am not sure of what age their campers were at the time but bad welds did happen at that time. Hopefully Cedar Creek will step up and take care of your problem. Call George and talk to him about the broken weld.
John & Laverne Soetebier
2013 30RL, 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Americus, KS
sody
President

Postby Ray and Linda » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:11 am

I had the same problem last year with my creek ...With the help of CC factory, Lippert fixed the problem...You might give Lippert a call also ...574-536-8729....
2004.36rlts custom with all the goodies
2007 Chevy 3500 crew duramax allison 4x4 ..and all the rest

Tobie..# 1 Driver
Linda # 1 Boss
1/3 of the bad boys
Ray and Linda
Website Monitor

Postby chris mclean » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:46 am

thanks for info .the shop connfirmed the problem was with broken welds on the neck of the hitch from blown out welds.too much heat . i talked to lipert and we will see what happens .thanks
chris mclean

Postby chris mclean » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:58 am

well i finnaly got some some news from lippert . looks like they may not do anything about the problem as the trailer is 5 years old .turns out the problem was faulty welds where the A frame hitch attachhes to the frame .the welds look like some one who has never welded did them ,the A frame where it attaches to the main frame has broken away it was lucky the hitch never broke off .this a huge safty issue . and it is hidden .i would advise all members to check for bad welds .you can do this by looking in the front compartment .if you see any welds that are splatered and not clean .you have a problem .now i have a RV that i cant use .
chris mclean

Postby Danny & Cheryl » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:14 pm

I bet they will fix it if you exert the correct Pressure in the right places
AR-0043-296
Danny & Cheryl and Penny
30RLBS, RV Flex Armor Roof, Hardwood Floor, MORryde IS with Disc Brakes
2015 RAM 3500 Cummins DRW / Garmin 760 RV, HawksHead TPMS
Firestone Air Bags/Air Lift Compressor
40 Gal TransferFlow Fuel Tank
Amateur Radio W5CI/AT&T ZTE Mobley
Danny & Cheryl
1K posting member

Postby chris mclean » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:38 pm

Well Lippert will not stand behind there products.they have refused to do anything about the bad welds .even after forest river intervaned . Fortunetly Forrest river does stand behind there products and will honer a claim for the welds being repaired .I am just hopeing it will cover the closet being distroyed and hole in nose cone too. either way .Forrest river stood up and accepted fault .Even thought they did not make the frame .My hat is off to them .I still wonder however how many more units are out there like this one, just waiting to break .we were lucky it didnt snap till we got home .We realy like our silver back .Wil be glad to have it back on the road.
chris mclean

Postby splashers3 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:24 am

We are going through this very issue with our 2009 Silverback. The pinbox flexing has been going on for a few years, very minor in which caulking helped for a few years. However, on our way back from Nova Scotia last week we hit a bad bump. By the time we got to Maine, the separation was probably 3 inches or so, the closet had dropped about 2 inches. We paid to have somebody look it over to see if we could tow it back to southern MD....which we did, with the cap riding on the trailaire.

Cedar Creek has been EXCELLENT so far. They paid to have it shipped to Topeka 3 days after we called. They said they were very familiar with this flexing issue....and would cover costs. Denise Davis has been excellent to date. They are keeping it for about 1 month while repairing everything.

I'm also having them replace the slide seals...all of mine have split, which happened 3 years ago....Denise said that shouldn't be the case either.

Time will tell as to our satisfaction - we are please so far.

Mike & Carol Kieber
Missing Region 2 members for a few years - soon to be re-connecting!
Mike, Carol & Tim; and Lily (Golden Retriever).
Our Golden, Tracy, is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
08 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A, CC,
09 Silverback GII 32 WRL
splashers3

Postby sody » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:05 am

I am glad that Cedar Creek is stepping up to the plate on this. I would venture to say that not too many other manufacturers would spring for repairs to a 7 year old unit even it it was a manufacturing problem to start with. Hopefully you will be back on the road in no time and looking forward to crossing paths soon at a rally.
John & Laverne Soetebier
2013 30RL, 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Americus, KS
sody
President

Postby Randy & Nancy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:00 am

My pin box was totally rebuilt by the CC factory after FROG 2014. A certified welder from Lippert did the steel work. It had not broken but was flexing considerably. CC techs did all the associated body work - new fiberglass below the Z frame, moldings, compartment door, etc. CC covered all cost even though the vehicle was out of warranty. CC has a reputation of taking care of such structural failures (at the factory) if you are the original owner that bought new for as long as you own your camper. The folks at CC are nice, helpful people that care about what they build and their customers. If you are nice to them they bend over backwards to see that things are fixed right. Folks that get mad, yell and threaten may not get that kind of service. There is an old saying, "You catch more fly's with honey than vinegar."
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA
2009 CC 34SATS
2004 Volvo VNL670 Custom Conversion. 12.1L, 465 HP, 1,625 foot pounds of torque.
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby Allan and Gwen » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:38 pm

I had a similar problem like Randy had last year. I took my CC to the factory and Cedar Creek did exactly the same thing for me as they did for Randy and made my CC better than new. My first pin box issue started several years ago when Jim discovered that one section of the exposed pin box was never welded. Fortunately I was less than 50 miles from home. I contacted Lippert and was told they would send someone out to fix it. Six weeks later a man arrived and welded the non welded piece in 45 minutes.
Cedar Creek is FANTASTIC. As long as I own a 5th wheel it will be a Cedar Creek. I can't say enough nice things about all the folks I have dealt with at the factory. I have never had the great experiences that I have had with Cedar Creek with anything thing else I have ever owned.
Looking forward to seeing all my friends at FROG in a few weeks.
Allan
Allan and Duffy with Gwen our cook.
Lansdale, PA
Image Image
Image Image Image

2007 Cedar Creek 32TK
2013 Ford F350 Superduty 4x4 6.7 Litre Diesel
Allan and Gwen
1K posting member

Postby splashers3 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:45 am

WE just received another call from Denise.....they should be all done Tues and we will make the trip out there to pick it up. She did offer to have it delivered back to us, but we would like to see it first, and see their facilities...and of course to thank Denise for all her efforts!!!

They are also replacing our trailair hitch, with the newest version...they've already upgraded our stairs and replaced the slide seals...all at NO cost to us. They even replaced our bedroom slide floor..which as a very small amount of H2O damage.....

Our next trailer, which I have already picked out the model - will of course be a Cedar Creek! As Denise told me, we want you to have a GREAT trade in!!!! I think they've more than exceeded that!

With the new cap, we need another decal with our town & state.......Do folks still add that to their nose cap?
Can't wait to attend a CCRVOC rally.....unfortunately, we can't stay for the FROG rally.

Can't wait to see everybody again.
Mike & Carol Kieber
Mike, Carol & Tim; and Lily (Golden Retriever).
Our Golden, Tracy, is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge
08 GMC Sierra 2500 D/A, CC,
09 Silverback GII 32 WRL
splashers3

Return to Safety Issues