WINTERIZING

Discuss Cedar Creek RV Owners Club related topics and discussion.

Moderators: Ray and Linda, Executive Board, Regional Directors

WINTERIZING

Postby Advencha B4 Demencha » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:46 pm

Our first winter with our Cedar Creek and we have cancelled our plans to head to the warm south. We are expecting our first two grandchildren and will stay to enjoy the time with our children. Anyhow we know how to winterize our unit with the anti freeze as we have owned a motorhome for 20+ years. We were just wondering if there are any recommendations on areas special to the fifth wheel that we need to winterize? See you all next year..........going south for sure!!!!
Advencha B4 Demencha

Re: WINTERIZING

Postby woverholser » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Over the years I have owned both moror homes and 5th wheels and the process is about the same. The biggest issue is to make sure you get all the valves turned in the right direction when it is time to winterize. Also take out the water filter cartdrige and leave it out for the winter. It takes me about 3 gallons to winterize my CC. That includes pouring a significant amount down each sink to fill the P traps.

Wayne
Wayne & Margaret
Brighton, MI
2010 Cedar Creek 36CKTS w/Level-Up system
2015 Chevy Silverado HD 3500 SRW / Duramax
woverholser
Region 4 Director

Postby Harold & Linda » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 pm

THE BEST WAT TO WINETERIZE IS TO HEAD SOUTH AND BECOME WINTER TEXANS!!!!!!

Harold
Region 7 Director
The Horse
2005 Chevy. 3500 C/C Dually, Duramax/Allison, Prodigy, Roll Top Bed Cover.
Our Covered Wagon
2007 Cedar Creek 36RLTS Custom
Exposure to the Son may Prevent Burning
1/3 of the Bad Boys
Harold & Linda
Region 7 Director

Postby dickhix1 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:56 pm

As Wayne said the procedure is about the same except for perhaps if you have an ice maker in your refer or have a washing machine. By-pass the water heater and drain it then fill all the pipes with the good pink stuff. Because I have an ice maker and washer, it takes me about 4 - 4.5 gallons.
Dick and Peggy Hicks

10 36RE
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab 4X4 Long Bed, 50 gal. xfer tank
Image Image
dickhix1
Region 3 Director

Postby cfgbs » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Another sad Canadian speaks
Make sure you shut off breaker for hotwater tank and remove anode plug to allow it to drain.

My CC had another set of drain valves hdden across the basement inside a wall panel that I did not find till this year.
Make sure your grey and black tanks are drained and then run some antifreezeee into tanks with valve closed just in case some ice forms near dump valves.

CC has bypass around hotwater tank for when you pump antifreeze in.

I leave my water line drain vales open after making sure antifreeze is through all lines as I have seen Minus 50 degree antifreeze frozen solid but thats Thunder Bay where even propane freezes in January

Glenn
PS Any help from the folks attensing the Fariboo rally ,in convincing Mary that we should leave our trailer at Fariboo rally and pick it up at new years would be appreciated, I would give anything to become a Cedar creek snowbird this January.
Glenn and Mary
2005 CC 31lbhbs
2006 Dodge Cummins
cfgbs

Postby Callie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:10 am

We also have a laundry unit, is there anything we have to do other than filling the washer lines with anti freeze to prepare it for winter?

Callie

dickhix1 wrote:As Wayne said the procedure is about the same except for perhaps if you have an ice maker in your refer or have a washing machine. By-pass the water heater and drain it then fill all the pipes with the good pink stuff. Because I have an ice maker and washer, it takes me about 4 - 4.5 gallons.
Callie

Postby Randy & Nancy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:42 am

Callie wrote:We also have a laundry unit, is there anything we have to do other than filling the washer lines with anti freeze to prepare it for winter?

Callie

dickhix1 wrote:As Wayne said the procedure is about the same except for perhaps if you have an ice maker in your refer or have a washing machine. By-pass the water heater and drain it then fill all the pipes with the good pink stuff. Because I have an ice maker and washer, it takes me about 4 - 4.5 gallons.

The drain hose from you washer will hold water. Our washer has a drain for the hose and low points on the lower front - but some models may not. I still like to let a little antifreeze go into the washer to protect the pump and mix with any water left in the pump drain hose.

I use compressed air to blow the water lines out first - I like to get as much out before putting antifreeze in as possible.

Our CC has a valve and hose on the water pump that allows us to feed pink stuff into the system by bypassing the water tank pick-up. I just pour about 4 gallons of pink stuff into a clean five gallon bucket and poke the bypass hose into the liquid. Once I get pink at all the faucets, toilet, shower and washer I cut the pump off and drain the pink stuff from the low point drains back into a clean bucket. No need to leave it in the water lines or big water filter housing. I can reuse what I capture from the drain again. This way I only lose about a gallon of antifreeze each year.

I once "forgot" to drain the outside shower lines - that was a big mistake. As noted, bypass the water heater and drain it leaving the drain open. We have never been lucky enough to have an ice maker but do have a fancy filter for drinking water at the sink. It uses twin cartridges that run about $50. Fortunately, I can remove the cartridges and take them into the house without ruining them with pink stuff.

I hate to winterize - it is such a sad event. Like Harold said, I would like to just move further south in the winter and forget the pink stuff. December to March is a Loooooong time. Maybe this year we will only need to winterize for a few weeks between late November and mid-January. The kids still expect us to be home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Randy, Nancy and Oscar.
Mechanicsville, VA (Near Richmond & Williamsburg)
2009 CC 34SATS - 2004 Volvo VNL670 Class 7, 12.1L
465 HP and 1,625 foot pounds of torque generated at 1,400 RPM!
ARS - WB4BZX
Region 2 Directors
Randy & Nancy
Region 2 Director

Postby dickhix1 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:31 am

I agree with Randy but don't try and save the anti-freeze. May try it this year.

Regarding the washer, I set it to warm water wash and let it fill with antifreeze and start the wash cycle. Remember to have both the hot and cold lines open. Then I switch it to Spin and let the antifreeze pump out. That gets antifreeze into both the pump and the drain line. Because of the cost of the washer, if it gets super cold in your neck of the woods, I might do it twice, once with the washer set on cold wash and once on hot to be sure all the lines get plenty of pink stuff. My washer is a Slendede (probably spelled that wrong) which is kind of fussy at changing cycles in mid stream, but with a little fortitude it can be done.

For the ice maker, John Coombs taught me this one. With the ice maker and the pump on, using a full jug of antifreeze, let the ice maker run a couple of cycles until you get pink ice cubes then turn everything off. The cubes will be kind of mushy. In the spring simply flush out the water lines and then turn on the refrig and ice maker until you get clear ice.

That's my two cents and I'm sticking with it.
Dick and Peggy Hicks

10 36RE
2011 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn Crew Cab 4X4 Long Bed, 50 gal. xfer tank
Image Image
dickhix1
Region 3 Director

Postby Ag& Mary Ann Caldwell » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:14 pm

You guys can put that pink stuff in your water lines if you want too. I use compressed air and the antifreeze only for the traps and tanks.
Amos
Ag& Mary Ann Caldwell

Postby Dave & Jill » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 pm

I'm with you AG that is the way I have done it for years and not had a problem, but I am reluctant to recommend that to others not knowing how their lines are routed.
Dave & Jill Mattson
Overland Park, KS
2000 30RLFS
1992 Volvo Class 7
http://community.webshots.com/user/volvotoyhauler
Dave & Jill
Site Admin

Postby Marjon » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:02 am

I've seen to many lines blown out by people putting to much air pressure in the lines, and that's why I use RV anti- freeze. When I see that pink stuff coming through I know it's done.

If your comfortable using air, then by all means do so.

John
Marjon
2014 36ft CKTS
Trailair Pin
Equa-Flex Flexible Equalizer by Trailair
2004 GMC Duramax 2500 HD 4x4,BD exhaust brake
Maggie..The Mexican Terrorist
ImageImage
Marjon
1K posting member

Return to CCRVOC Discussion