Newbies are here!

Discuss Cedar Creek RV Owners Club related topics and discussion.

Moderators: Ray and Linda, Executive Board, Regional Directors

Postby Jim & Judy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:01 am

Jimmymash,
If you have a need to pull a gooseneck then this would be an option, but if you are only going to pull a 5er, get a standard 5th wheel hitch and it should be a hitch that pivots 4 ways,(front to back and side to side). The size of the hitch should be no less than 16k. I have a 18k hitch with a 4500# pin weight as my pin weight is 3780# when loaded. I pull a 2006 37RDQS.---Jim
Jim & Judy

Postby ChuckWagon » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 am

Welcome to the club.

I like the standard 5th wheel connection because of less hardware on the trailer when its disconnected.

I think the goose neck is important to people who think that is the only option for a clear bed when not towing. There are 5th wheel hitches that connect below the bed leaving a clean bed with only 4 connection holes.

Draw tite Signature series provides a clean bed when the hitch is removed.
http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/WD/dt_5th_sig_series_rail_kit.html
Last edited by ChuckWagon on Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Happy Trails to You, 'til we meet again
Chuck & Judy
2004 GMC 2500HD D/A Superchips
2013 Cedar Creek 34R
ChuckWagon
Region 5 Director

Postby Roger & Oneta » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:03 am

A great big TEXAS WELCOME to the club we know that you will get straight information from everyone here. When you get a chance to attend a rally come on you will have a good time.
Roger and Oneta Schurbon
2007ckqs
2002 f250 Super Duty
and Shada
Roger & Oneta

Postby John & Julie » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:26 am

Welcome to our Wonderful Club Jimmymash :D .

Do you have Trail-air on your trailer hitch? If so, per trailair you cannot use a gooseneck connection on this type of hitch. We have a B&W Turnover Ball with the Fifthwheel Companion Hitch. You can remove the hitch and have a clear bed area.

Brake controller. The best brake controller that I've ever used (and I've used many of them) is Brake Smart. You can find them at http://www.brakesmart.biz. This brake controller has many functions in it besides just the brake controller.

Hope to see you at the Wisconsin Rally next year. They'll be plenty of things to see and do in the area, along with a Great Group of Creekers. Oh can't forget lots to eat too :D :D .

Feel free to pm me if you have any further questions.

Happy Creekin,
John
John & Julie

Postby sody » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:31 pm

We use the traditional type 5th wheel hitch. If we need to haul something, you can unpin the hitch and only have bottom rails left in the bed. We also have a storage box in our bed for all those miscellaneous things that we don't carry in the trailer so try to not use it for much hauling other than the 5th wheel. (It is a 2002 and it only has 21,000 miles on it so other than our CC trips, we generally only drive it once a month to town so that it gets a little use.) Agree that you need at least a 16k hitch.
As for the brake controller, we have the prodigy and have been very pleased with it. It is proportional and you can add boost if you are in areas where you feel more braking help is needed.
Welcome to the club and don't be shy about asking questions. We were all there at one time and that is how we learned. Creekers helping Creekers, that is what we are about.
John & Laverne Soetebier
2013 30RL, 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Americus, KS
sody
Vice President

Postby John Howser » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:59 pm

We have a 2005 37RDQS Cedar Creek. Really enjoy using it. We also have a 2001 F350 that pulls our unit.......with a Reese 16,000 hitch, and a Prodigy brake controller. We really to like the Prodigy!!!!!! As mentioned above, you can add "boost" to brake a little quicker in traffic situations.

Any questions that you might have about the CC, just email or pm me. I'm always willing to try to help!!!

John
John and Marsha Howser
Fredericktown, MO
Life is too short to stay in one place!!!!
CC 37RDQS, 2001 F350, CC, Long Bed
http://www.thehowserhouse.blogspot.com
John Howser

"Welcome"!

Postby KC Creekers » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:56 pm

jimmymash ... Image Image

(I can't help much with anything technical, but if it's trivial just yell!) :lol:

Linda :D
Frank & Linda
2004 Cedar Creek 30CKTS 5th Wheel
2004 Chevy Silverado HD 8.1/Allison
KC Creekers
Region 6 Director

Postby LarryandCindy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:13 pm

Jimmymash,

I think everything that needs to be said has been said, but want to give you big welcome to the club. Don't every think you can't ask questions, when I first got our Creek I had more questions than I had brain cells. Hope to see you at the National Rally in Wisconsin next spring.
LarryandCindy

Postby John Howser » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:59 pm

Drop the "Mr Howser"....try just plain John!!

The door??? WELLLLLLL, just be sure it is closed SECURELY before extending or retracting the slides!!!! Someday when we meet I will tell you a horror story.....haha!!

As to entertaining.......we haven't done that much, but I do know that we love being able to close the door when one of us goes to bed to read and the one of us wants to watch the tellie!!! And.....it sure keeps the den toasty warm when we "light" the fireplace and just want to read, etc., etc. when the door is closed. LOVE IT!!! (just keep checking on it, tho)

Also, we did have one of the overhead cabinet doors on the edge of the back window come open while we were traveling and catch on the couch slide as we extended it. Of course, you can't see that unless you move the slides very slowly and keep inspecting it visually........we damaged our gears on that slide as the cab. door kept the slide from extending.

Just a few little things to keep checking on.......always. And...I'm still learning.....

John
John and Marsha Howser
Fredericktown, MO
Life is too short to stay in one place!!!!
CC 37RDQS, 2001 F350, CC, Long Bed
http://www.thehowserhouse.blogspot.com
John Howser

Postby texas_travelers » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:11 pm

jimmymash, WELCOME from TEXAS and a BIG HOWDDDDDYYYYYYY

hope to see you at one of the many rally's or campouts
WELCOME
Jim and Rebecca Thrift...Texas_Travelers
Waco, Tx
34CKTS 5er
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually 4X4 crew cab
member of Waco 92 Masonic Lodge