Microwave Falling

Have a question about your Creek or your generators, refrigerators and other related electrical/mechanical questions? This is the place to ask.

Moderators: Executive Board, Regional Directors, Past Presidents

Microwave Falling

Postby SandsOrrell » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:24 am

We just noticed that our microwave oven has dropped about an inch on one end. Maybe the rough roads are taking a toll? I don't even know how the dang thing is secured. Our is the type that is hanging over the range top. I'd like to at least get it up to FROG for repairs. But if it has dropped that far, might it fall all the way down completely? We have many more of those rough roads on the way up to FROG. Any thoughts?
Skip and Susan Orrell
2013 34RLSA, MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, Disc Brakes, GY LT 614G Tires, Level Up
2013 Chevy 3500 LTZ D/A 4X4 DRW CC

USAF Pilot 63-83; Vietnam Vet
Full-timers
SandsOrrell

Re: Microwave Falling

Postby BandJCarm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:49 am

I wish I could help. I am not sure how it's connected. I know I have sensed that it is installed "flimsily" if that is a word. I DO love it, though. Convection cooking, microwave all in one. We have no use for the LP oven.

I am sure they can fix it at FROG.

Maybe stack something under it to shore it up? Sorry, that's best I can think of. Maybe BJ or someone knows more on how they are actually connected.
Bill and Jeannie
Central Arkansas
2016 GMC Denali 3500 Dually
2017 CC 36CKTS

BandJCarm

Postby wbonta123 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:45 pm

Skip,

The microwave is installed just like in a house. There is a metal bracket across the back of the microwave that is attached to the wall that has a slot across the bottom of it. The microwave has an opposing lip on the back of it that rest on the slot. Then there are two big screws that are threaded down through the shelf above the microwave into built-in threaded holes in the top of the microwave. Check to see if one of those big screws has worked itself down into the hole in the shelf. If that is the case stack items under the microwave to lift it back as level as you can and back out the big screw. Put a large washer under the head of the screw and that should solve the problem if that is where it has given way. I suspect that is what has happened as those screws have a tapered head like a wood screw and it could work itself down through the hole. I can't imagine the rear moving as that is what really holds the microwave.

When you put up a microwave, you have to tilt it forward to get it connected into the metal slot across the back. Then the big threaded screws just hold the front of the microwave up level.
B. J. & Barb Bonta
2018 38FLX, 2008 Chevy 3500, Duramax/Allison, 4x4
wbonta123
1K posting member

Postby BandJCarm » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:46 pm

See, Skip?

Who did I tell you that would know?? LOL
Bill and Jeannie
Central Arkansas
2016 GMC Denali 3500 Dually
2017 CC 36CKTS