Tow Vehicle

Do you have questions about your tow vehicle, or which is best? Here is where you need to ask.

Moderators: Executive Board, Regional Directors, Past Presidents

Tow Vehicle

Postby DVR195 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:09 pm

Hi Everyone! We are in the process of buying a new 5th wheel. We have a 2012 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummings with 3.73, short bed with a pull rite slider. Right now we are at payload of 2389 lbs and max towing of 12,650. We like the 35 IK but are a little concerned that we are to close to the Max weight. The 35 IK dry weight is 11700 with a dry hitch weight of 2212. I think the extra leaf will increase the payload but am concerned about being so close to the max weight. Does anyone tow this close to the max. I appreciate any help.
Thanks
Dave
DVR195

Re: Tow Vehicle

Postby BandJCarm » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:40 pm

There are those........some here..........that do pull a 5er with a 3/4 ton.

My issue is not towing capacity. The first obstacle to overcome (IMHO) is Payload, or CCC. The pin weight of 2212 will probably be more than that when loaded. Add passengers, fuel, cargo, etc......and the 2389 gets eaten up first.........

I had the same issue......had a 3/4 looking at a Fifth Wheel.

Still, many do pull with it............
Bill and Jeannie
Central Arkansas
2016 GMC Denali 3500 Dually
2017 CC 36CKTS

BandJCarm

Postby DVR195 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:56 pm

Do you think adding the leaf will change the payload . The axle on the 2500 is the same as the 3500 the only difference is the leaf spring. I was told I could increase the payload by 1000lbs by adding the leaf. we also looked the the 33 ik that is about 800lbs lighter.
DVR195

Postby sody » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:19 pm

Every person has their comfort level on the tow vehicle/trailer combination. You don't have much margin there based on the specs that you showed for your truck. Like Bill said, that margin will be eaten up very quickly. And the listed pin weight and dry weight often do not include options that are added to the trailer.
Now all that being said, we pull a 30RL with a Chevy 2500 duramax/allison. We are very close on our pin weight but have about 1200 pounds of load capacity when we are ready to hit the road. But we don't take everything but the kitchen sink and we don't travel with water on board as a rule. Each person has different ideas of the must have items that they load into their trailer and storage bays. So you will have to think about what you will be carrying in order to decide if you have enough margin.
As to your question whether adding another leaf to your spring pack will add capacity, I would suggest you ask on a Dodge truck owners forum or check with your local dealer. I don't have an answer for that question.
John & Laverne Soetebier
2013 30RL, 2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison
Americus, KS
sody
President

Postby d2reid » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Everyone must be responsible for their own actions. I will never admit on an public forum that I may be overweight. I mitigate my "close to gross" by reducing my speed, give extra room for zoomers (people who cut in front of you), be extra cautious on steep grades.

If you jerk your rig around, try to go too fast or maneuver too quickly you are going to break something, regardless of weight.

Be safe, have fun!

Dallas
d2reid

Postby DVR195 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Thank you for the info, i think we are going to downsize to the 33ik. The pin weight is about 200 lbs less and the weight is 1000lbs less. Really appreciate all the info, we are looking at jeff Couch RV price is much better than local BUT about 800 miles away.
DVR195

Postby Danny & Cheryl » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:25 pm

I would suggest that you get the TT that you will be happy with. If not you will never be happy with it. You can upgrade your truck later if necessary. I wouldn't worry about a couple of hundred lbs here and there. Good Luck with your purchase
Danny & Cheryl and Penny
30RLBS, MORryde IS/Disc Brakes
2015 RAM 3500 Cummins DRW
40 Gal TransferFlow Fuel Tank

Danny & Cheryl
1K posting member

Postby DVR195 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:34 pm

Thank you ! will update you soon.
DVR195

Return to Towing Vehicles